Started in the academic year 2006/2007.
The general objectives of the Master in Mathematics Education aim to provide the understanding through a level based:
- In the knowledge growth and depth allowing to form the basis for development and/or unique applications in research projects;
- In allowing applying the knowledge and the ability to understand and solve problems in new and unfamiliar situations in wide multidisciplinary situations related to their field of study;
- In providing the skills for learning throughout a autonomous and self-oriented way.
Specific objectives of the Master aim to provide:
- Personal and social education of future teachers, promoting autonomy, cooperation and participation, as well as the internalization of ethical values;
- To complete students scientific, technological and mathematical education
- That student acquires scientific training in pedagogical and didactic field;
- The progressive development of teaching skills to integrate in the exercise of pedagogical practice;
- Insure that students develop skills and attitudes for critical analysis, innovation and educational research.
The Master enables to teaching in schools, public or private, of the 2nd and 3rd cycles of Basic and Secondary Education.
Tuition Fees (awaiting approval by NOVA General Council)
Portuguese students: 1500 €/year
Foreign students: 7000 €/year
1st phase: 17th may to 14th june
2nd phase: 30th august to 5th september
3rd phase: 3rd to 30th january 2022
Acceptance rate in masters
Accepted applicants will have to pay (within a maximum of 7 consecutive days from the date of placement) a non-refundable rate of 100 euros, which will be deducted, after registration, from the total tuition fee. Any payment made after the deadline will not be refunded, leaving the candidate excluded.
Admission requirements for the 2021/2022 academic year
Vacancies for 2021/2022:
- Holders of a Bachelor's degree of the 1st cycle, or equivalent, containing 120 credits in the Mathematics and Statistics fields;
- Holders of a foreign degree, or equivalent, in the same scientific area conferred following the 1st cycle of studies according to the Bologna Process;
- Holders of a foreign academic degree in required area recognized as meeting the objectives of the Bachelor´s degree by the Scientific Council of the FCT NOVA.
- Holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum that is recognized as attesting the capacity to accomplish referred cycle of studies by the Scientific Council of the FCT NOVA;
- Evidence of oral and written domain of the Portuguese language and mastering the basic rules of logical reasoning and critical (decreto-lei 79/2014, no artigo 17º, nº1).
- Course classification;
- Academic and scientific curriculum;
- Professional curriculum;
- Possible interview.
Professor Helena Rocha
Registration and Accreditation
Registration number R/A-Ef 3110/2011 on 18/03/2011
Accreditation on 02/07/2015,
for 6 years
About the Department of Mathematics
The Department of Mathematics (DM) is a permanent teaching and research unit of the Faculty of Sciences and Technology of the Universidade Nova de Lisboa (FCT NOVA). In the DM, multiple activities in the field of Mathematics are developed, ranging from teaching and research to promotion and dissemination, through lifelong training and the provision of services to the community. The DM consists of 83 professors, of whom 79 have doctorates.
The DM is in charge of the Degree in Mathematics, the Degree in Mathematics Applied to Risk Management, the Master in Actuarial Mathematics, the Master in Mathematics and Applications, the Master in Mathematics Teaching for the 3rd cycle of Basic Education and Secondary Education, as well of the PhD in Mathematics at NOVA University. The DM also ensures the teaching of propaedeutic subjects in the field of Mathematics for the various courses at FCT NOVA. More info