Biology is witnessing a digital transformation driven by the rapid development of computer algorithms and artificial intelligence methods, which have revolutionized the analysis of biological systems and associated pharmaceutical and medical tecnologies.
The MSc in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (MCBBI) of Universidade NOVA de Lisboa provides a multidisciplinary training in the interface between Life Sciences and Information Technology. This advanced course is implemented by five complementary NOVA Schools: NOVA School of Science and Technology (FCT NOVA), Instituto de Tecnologia Química e Biológica António Xavier (ITQB NOVA), NOVA Information Management School (NOVA IMS), NOVA Medical School (NOVA MS) and Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical (IHMT NOVA).
The course provides solid hands-on training to students holding a degree in Life Sciences in the core disciplines of computational biology and bioinformatics, while maintaining a flexible structure composed of a common core and two branches. The common core develops the student's proficiency in informatics, mathematics and artificial intelligence and exposes them to the different fields of computational biology. The flexible structure enables the students to specialize in one of the two branches: Multi-Omics for Life and Health Sciences and Biosystems Simulation for Life and Health Sciences.
More information can be found at http://masters.unl.pt/computationalbiology/.
Portuguese students: 1500 €/year
Foreign students: 7000 €/year
Early bird – 15 vacancies
1 Mar – 31 Mar 2021
1st phase – 25 vacancies
07 Apr – 22 Jul 2021
2nd phase – remaining vacancies
27 Jul – 05 Sep 2021
Vacancies for 2021/2022:
1. Holders of a Bachelor, Master or Integrated Master degree, or equivalent, in the areas of Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biological Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or similar. Holders of a degree in Mathematics, Informatics or similar areas will be assessed by the Master’s Scientific Committee and may need to do additional curricular units;
2. Holders of a foreign academic degree in any of the scientific areas mentioned above, conferred at the end of a 1st cycle of studies according to the Bologna Process;
3. Holders of a foreign academic degree in any of the scientific areas mentioned above, recognized as meeting the goals of a bachelor degree by the Scientific Council of the coordinating intitutions (FCT NOVA and ITQB NOVA);
4. Holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum in the scientific areas referred in 1, recognized as attesting to the capability to follow the Master course by the Scientific Council of the coordinating intitutions (FCT NOVA and ITQB NOVA), at the proposal of the Master’s Scientific Committee.
1. Course grade;
2. Academic and scientific curriculum;
3. Professional curriculum;
4. Possible interview.
Students who still did not finish their Bachelor Degrees are welcome to apply in any phase. They will be ranked based on their grades. Depending on the ranking position, they can be conditionally accepted but may only enroll when in possession of the Bachelor Certificate.
Course coordinator (FCT):
Registration number R/A-Cr 72/2020 on 23/06/2020
Accreditation on 29/04/2020, for 6 years
The Department of Life Sciences (Departamento de Ciências da Vida - DCV) focuses its activity on teaching and research in fundamental Biology relevant for application in Biotechnology and Biomedicine.
DCV is responsibel for BSc's Courses - Licenciatura em Biologia Celular e Molecular (1st Cycle), MSc's - Mestrado em Genética molecular e Biomedicina (2nd Cycle) and PhD Program in Biology and PhD Program in Biotechnology (Co-coordination with DQ/FCT/UNL), while collaborating in several other courses with NOVA.
DCV is organised in a single Scientific Section, grouping the scientific ares of Microbiology, Genetics and Cell Biology. Research at DCV is integrated into International and National collaborative efforts in the areas of Microbiology, Human and Molecular Genetics, Biotechnology, Nanobiotechnology and Cell Biology.More info