CV, level and quality of previous academic training, any recommendation letters characterizing previous experience, assessment outcome by a jury of a possible interview.
The PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering aims at preparing researchers with the capacity to perform autonomous research activities and the ability to lead innovation processes in the scientific area of Electrical and Computer Engineering, in both academic and enterprise environments.
This 3rd cycle complements the basic training of candidates for the improvement of studies and research and development in emerging areas of knowledge. Upon completion of the course of study, candidates will be able to lead, with scientific rigor and technological and methodological present, processes involving analysis, design, modeling, production and operation of advanced and innovative systems in the field of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Specific objectives per specialization area:
- Computational and Perceptional Systems. Acquisition of advanced knowledge on topics related to the development of computational and perceptional systems, including modeling of complex evolutionary systems with learning capability, perceptional sub-systems (e.g. image processing with Artificial Intelligence techniques), and computational models and supporting technologies for embedded systems.
- Control and Decision. Develop skills and capacities to elaborate mathematical models, formulate and analyze complex problems in the scientific areas of Control and Decision including optimization, stability and robustness, industrial process supervision, and decision support systems.
- Electronics. Provide advanced education and advanced training in the area of Electronics and design of integrated circuits, including skills in research and development in this area. Cover all major industry-related areas such as RF and based-band analog and mixed-signal design and signal-processing in advanced deep-submicron CMOS technologies.
- Energy. Provide advanced knowledge and develop research and project skills in the area of Electrical Energy, including traditional and alternative (sustainable) sources, and covering the aspects of generation, transport, management and optimization.
- Enterprise Collaborative Networks. Provide advanced education in the area of Collaborative Networks including virtual enterprises, virtual organizations and their breeding environments, professional virtual communities, social networks, etc. In addition to the theoretical concepts and reference models, the acquisition of analysis, project, and management skills for new collaborative structures and their supporting technological infrastructures is also aimed.
- Industry Information Systems. Acquisition of advanced knowledge and skills on theoretical principles, modeling techniques, reference architectures, interoperability support methods, embedded computing and computational intelligence, including research and project in the area of Information Systems applied to industry.
- Robotics and Integrated Manufacturing. Offer advanced education in the area of Robotic Systems and Intelligent and Integrated Manufacturing, including acquisition of skills in research and project of advanced automation systems and service robotics. Additional skills to be acquired on analysis and design of complex distributed systems with emerging properties / behavior.
- Signal Processing. Develop signal modeling and analysis skills (spectral analysis, ARMA linear models, time-frequency distributions, etc.), as well as their application in innovative areas (e.g. biomedical applications).
- Telecommunications. Provide advanced education and research skills in telecommunication systems, including architectures and reference models, networks, protocols, wireless communication, infra-structured, ad hoc, and meshed networks.
Besides the emphasis on the realization of an original research work, leading to the generation of new knowledge, and the corresponding field of scientific research methodologies, the PhD also aims to provide the candidate with a major set of additional skills that are essential requirements to address the new challenges in the career of a doctorate. Thus, in accordance with the recommendations of the European University Association, the study cycle covers a number of aspects commonly called "soft skills" / "transferable skills", that includes communication skills and technical writing, leadership and time management and resources, partnerships and teamwork promotion, scientific ethics and intellectual property rights, technical events organization, entrepreneurship and transfer of research results to the socio-economic fabric, etc. Understanding and scientific research methods domain should also improve the critical skills, the ability to synthesis of complex contexts and very dynamic, thus preparing candidates for independent action.
Electrical and Computer Engineering is present in a very broad range of companies in various industrial and service sectors. Many of these organizations actively seek innovation and development of new solutions as well as its internationalization and participation in international collaborative networks. So it begins to be common for high-tech companies having research units or research and development that hire PhD holders in Electrical and Computer Engineering to lead teams and advanced innovation projects.
Doctors in Electrical and Computer Engineering will further career opportunities in research centers or research and development associated with public and private institutions, and the institutions of higher education.
Because of the prestige garnered by FCT-NOVA there are also great career opportunities in other countries of Europe.
Portuguese students: 2.750€
Foreign students: 2.750€
24th april to 16th july (1st phase)
Vacancies for 2019/2020:
1. The application to the PhD Program requires the submission of a specific application form and valid documentation proving the candidate fulfills the conditions required by the Portuguese law, by the UNL and FCT-UNL norms. The candidate must also satisfy at least one of the following conditions:
a. Possess an MSc degree or equivalent in Electrical and Computer Engineering or related areas with a grade of at least 14 out of 20 (70%);
b. Possess a first degree Electrical and Computer Engineering or related areas and a scholar or scientific curriculum recognized as adequate by the Council of the Electrical Engineering Department;
d. Possess a scholar, professional or scientific curriculum recognized as adequate by the Council of the Electrical Engineering Department.
2. The recognition mention in items b) and c) of nº1 above:
a. Will be based on recommendations issued by two professors of researchers with a PhD, experts in Electrical and Computer Engineering, nominated by the Coordinator of the PhD Program;
b. Does not provide the candidate with any equivalence to any degree or its recognition for other purposes besides the admission to the PhD Program.
3. The candidates must be fluent in English, both in speaking and writing. In duly justified cases the Scientific Committee might accept candidates that do not satisfy this condition.
A selecção dos candidatos é da responsabilidade da Comissão Científica do doutoramento através da apreciação da documentação apresentada, podendo convocar para uma entrevista os candidatos potencialmente elegíveis.
Necessary documentations for online application:
The candidate’ selection is responsability of the PhD Scientific Committee by assessing the submitted documentation. Potentially eligible candidates may be called for an interview.
Professor Luís M. Camarinha Matos
Registration number R/A-Ef 3538/2011 on 18/03/2011
Accreditation on 03/10/2013, for 6 years
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (DEEC) is organized into six technical-and-scientifically coherent scientific areas namely, Energy and Electrical Machines, Control and Decision, Digital Systems, Robotics and Integrated Manufacture, Electronics and Telecommunications. Electrical Engineering is the largest department at FCT with 40 faculty and over 1100 undergraduate, masters, and doctoral students.
Our faculty and students continue to advance the state-of-the-art, define new directions for electrical engineering, and develop new technologies to help address critical societal challenges. Perhaps even more important is our unceasing commitment to our students, helping them learn, grow, and develop and achieve their goals, whether it is becoming a professor, an entrepreneur, or joining industry.
There are many advantages to joining Electrical Engineering as a student. We hope to be part of your success.More info