Started in 2014/2015.
The main objective of PDAS is the formation of doctors able to apply a scientific approach to environmental issues and sustainability. PDAS’ vision aims to empower change agents to support companies in achieving the necessary transformations to build a more sustainable future.
Leadership in business, industry, government and society in general require a high degree of technical and scientific knowledge, as well as a mature understanding of the human dimensions of sustainable development. In this context, the main objective of PDAS is to provide an advanced interdisciplinary training in environmental sciences and sustainability, taking into account the technical, ecological, social, economic and institutional dimensions required to address the challenges of sustainability. PDAS is built on a strong research base anchored in two recognized research centers of excellence of the Faculty of Science and Technology, New University of Lisbon (FCT -UNL): CENSE - Research Centre for Environment and Sustainability and MARE - Marine and Environmental Sciences Centre. In particular, PDAS aims to provide its graduates with:
• A solid scientific culture, with a horizontal and integrated perspective in the field of environmental science and sustainability;
• The opportunity to acquire advanced training enabling them to identify and analyze the problems of sustainability, propose answers, and design and implement innovative solutions based on the development of applied research;
• The ability to integrate knowledge of various areas to better address the current problems of sustainability in a transdisciplinary approach;
• The possibility of participating in international research teams, thereby facilitating their integration into the global network of scientists in your area, and thus contributing to their entry into the labor market at national, European and world level;
• Entrepreneurial capacity enabling them to develop new companies and businesses, in particular by promoting the link between R & D activities and the economic and business environment.
Day and tutorial system
Portuguese students: to be announced
Foreign students: to be announced
1st phase: 27th April to 16th July
Vacancies for 2021/2022:
Candidates for the PDAS must meet the conditions of access and enrollment in doctoral programs indicated in FCT-UNL General Regulations for Doctoral programs, meeting at least the conditions expressed in the following points:
a) Holders of master's degree or legal equivalent;
b) Bachelor's degree holders and holders of a particularly relevant academic or scientific curriculum recognized as attesting the capacity to accomplish this cycle of studies by the Scientific Council;
c) Holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum that is recognized as attesting the capacity to accomplish this cycle of studies by the Scientific Council.
The presentation of a motivation letter, where the student identifies and justifies their research interests and motivation to attend the program;
Pre-specified levels of success TOEFL (> 100) or First Certificate in English;
Two recommendation letters;
Performance evaluation of an admission interview carried out by at least three members of PDAS Scientific Committee.
Students of any nationality may apply.
Usually it is required a minimum score of 16/20 or equivalent, Master, although students may be admitted with lower ratings in duly justified cases, depending on the evaluation of the Program’s Scientific Committee.
Professor Maria Paula Antunes
Registration number R/A-Cr 64/2014 on 20/05/2014
Prior accreditation on 08/04/2014, for 6 years
The Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering has forty teachers with extensive scientific, technical and pedagogical experience, that support the teaching about 600 students in courses with different valences and degrees of higher education. The functioning of teaching laboratories and research is supported by a number of specialized technicians.
In addition to its mission in terms of education and research, teachers and students of the Department have been crucial in creating relevant companies in environmental engineering areas such as YDreams and E-Value.More info