Started in the academic year of 2009/2010. The minimum number of credits to obtain the degree is 180 (3 years).
Relevant information for students is provided here
Day and tutorial system
Portuguese students: 2 750 Euros/ year
Foreign students: 2 750 Euros/ year
1st phase: 27th April to 16th July
2nd phase: 30th august to 15th october
Vacancies for 2021/2022:
In order to enroll in the PhD program, candidates must satisfy at least one of the following conditions:
a) Hold, in the program scientific area or similar, a Master degree or legal equivalent. The candidate must have a minimum final grade of 14 (in 20) in these study cycles;
b) Hold, in the program scientific area or similar, a Bachelor degree and relevant academic or scientific curriculum, recognized by the Department Council as attesting the ability to carry out the PhD program;
c) Hold an academic, scientific or professional curriculum, recognized by the Department Council as attesting the ability to carry out the PhD program.
Documentation for the on-line application:
1. Qualifications certificate, listing the grades obtained;
2. Academic and professional curriculum;
3. Recommendation letters from two teachers or researchers that know the candidate, commenting his/her skills.
4. Letter of intent, where the candidate explains why he/she is interested in carrying out this PhD program;
1. CV evaluation;
2. Grade averages, rankings in relevant curricular units for the chosen specialty;
3. Content and source of the recommendation letters and
4. Eventual personal interview.
Professor Rodrigo M. Gonçalves
Registration number R/A-Ef 3537/2011/AL01 on 10/10/2019
Publication date of the accreditation decision: 23/05/2019
for 6 years
The Department of Civil Engineering (DEC) was established in 1996. Today it offers a Master in Civil Engineering (5 years), two 2nd cycle Masters (2 years), in Structures and Geotechnics and in Building Rehabilitation, a PhD program in Civil Engineering (4 years) and training and graduate courses in the field of Sustainable Construction and Buildings' Thermal Performance.
There are currently more than 600 students enrolled in Civil Engineering at NOVA and the DEC’s faculty totals 35 teachers, 32 of whom with PhDs.More info